Learn how to apply the concepts and practices employed by today’s project managers.
The Project Management Essentials delivers practical, hands-on training in the core knowledge and skills of the discipline in practice today. Developed by leading practitioners and educators, this comprehensive program combines industry expertise and best practices to provide a well-rounded training program for Project Managers and those pursuing a career in project management.
Complete the series of 7 courses to earn an Algonquin College certificate in Project Management Essentials. Alternatively, select only those courses which meet your specific needs.
Module 1: Introduction to Managing Projects (3 Days)
Prospective and new project managers are introduced to the project management framework: project life cycle, processes and knowledge areas. Learn how project choices are made and different techniques for collecting requirements.
Module 2: Human Resources & Communications Management (3 Days)
Assembling the right people for the project is akin to “getting the right people on the bus.” The project manager brings together the resources to get the job done on time, on budget and within scope.
Module 3: Time and Cost (3 Days)
Establishing and monitoring project timelines is critical for project success. We’ve all heard the phrase “time is money.” Managing the element of time, project schedules, priorities and sequencing allows for project completion within the specified time and on budget.
Module 4: Project Risk (3 Days)
In project planning and throughout the project, risk must be identified, mitigated wherever possible, and its impact managed.
Module 5: Project Quality (2 Days)
Project managers can employ proven quality management techniques to influence project quality and outcomes.
Module 6: Procurement and Contract Management (3 Days)
Projects require resources: goods and services and human resources. Some of the resources may be available internally, while others must be procured through outside vendors or contractors.
Module 7: Project Implementation and Closure (3 Days)
This module brings together all of the learning and practice from the previous six modules and applys it to a project. The learners, formed into teams, will plan and implement a project simulation where they will apply the knowledge and experience they have gained in the previous modules. Learners will apply the sequence of processes required to effectively take a project idea from conception to conclusion.
Key benefits and features of the Project Management Essentials program
- A modular format allows each course to be taken on its own or as part of the complete PM Essentials Program of 7 short-duration workshops.
- Courses include practical exercises that allow you to build your knowledge and skills of the project management knowledge areas and processes.
- Each course contains an assessment component allowing you to test your knowledge level as you proceed through the program.
- Our instructors are skilled project managers with many years of experience in projects ranging from information technology, establishing project management offices, systems development and the human resources side of projects.
- Send your employees to the public workshop sessions or have individual modules or the entire program delivered to a group at your location or at our corporate training facility.
- Algonquin College is a Project Management Institute (PMI) Global Registered Education Provider. Courses in the program are eligible for PMI Professional Development Units.
- Students successfully completing all 7 courses within three years will receive a certificate in “Project Management Essentials” from Algonquin College.
Check the open enrolment calendar for dates or to register online.
For more information on the program.