- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Director, Physical Resources
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Administration
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- HS05 Accident Reporting and Investigation
To provide a mechanism to investigate and report all accidents so that remedial actions can be taken, if indicated.
Person employed by the College
Person who has charge of a workplace or authority over workers (OHSA)
Occupational Health and Safety Act
All injuries (regardless of seriousness), occupational illnesses, hazardous exposures to blood and body fluids and hazardous exposures to chemical, biological or physical agents
- The College wishes to promote the health and safety of its employees through accident prevention and comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). As a result of the timely reporting and investigation of all accidents, remedial actions are taken where indicated.
- All employees will report personal injury in the workplace to their immediate supervisor who will conduct a preliminary investigation using an Accident/Incident Report form (Appendix 1). Employees are also to report any accidents which result in damage/ loss of College property or the presence of hazardous materials. Persons with responsibility for students, contractors and children registered within a day care or child minding program are to report and investigate accidents as required by this policy.
- When an accident occurs or when the presence of hazardous circumstances is found, the employee will notify his/her supervisor immediately.
- Where the accident results in a personal injury, the employee must consult Health Services, if available or seek medical care from a physician or hospital. Where an accident results in lost time from work or prevents the employee from doing his/her regular duties, the employee must present medical documentation.
- The supervisor will conduct a preliminary accident investigation to identify immediate causes of the accident and initiate remedial action. The supervisor will document the findings using an Accident/Incident Report form (Appendix 1), which constitutes the preliminary investigation of the Supervisor and includes the employee’s account of the accident.
Report a personal injury, damage/ loss of College property or hazardous conditions to the immediate supervisor with a completed Employee Accident /Incident Report (Appendix 1).
Ensure that first aid is administered or medical attention is initiated if needed.
Ensure the injured employee is accompanied to Health Services for attention with a completed Accident/Incident Report, if possible.
Complete and sign the Accident/Incident Report and forward to Health Services by the end of the next working day following the accident if the treatment required was urgent and preceded the reporting.
Contact Security Services by dialling 5000 if first aid or medical attention is required outside of regular business hours or when Health Services is not available.
Supervisor or employee
Document the first aid treatment given on an Accident/Incident Report at the time of the accident.
Person applying first aid
Follow policy HS 08 Fatal or Critical Injuries if the incident:
Supervisor or employee
Initiate remedial action to prevent the reoccurrence of the accident.
Appendix 1 Accident/Incident Report Forms
HS 08 Fatal or Critical Injuries
HS 09 First Aid
HS 05 : APPENDIX 1
Accident/Incident Report forms are kept in all departments, Health Services, in building first aid kits, at the Security Services office as well as on the Safety & Security website.