- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Director, Information, Institutional Research and Technology Services (IIRTS)
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Academic
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- Audio-Visual Equipment Loans
To achieve an optimal allocation of audio-visual equipment among borrowers for varying loan periods based on need and use.
All College staff and students requiring audio-visual equipment on loan
Program Chair, Course Chair, Academic Manager or Dean
Instructional support equipment required to produce, present, project or replay learning media.
Information Technology Services
- The College will offer an audio-visual equipment loan program to College employees and students to support the teaching learning process. The objectives of the audio-visual equipment loan program are to:
a. provide a focus for expertise on equipment selection and evaluation in the College;
b. ensure a viable preventive maintenance program;
c. systematically replace equipment which is obsolete, worn-out or beyond repair;
d. ensure compatibility among equipment types, if possible;
e. provide back-up for malfunctioning equipment from a central booking point;
f. provide, at cost effective bulk prices, replacement and repair parts.
- This policy does not apply to the audio-visual equipment rentals used for events in the College.
- Information Technology Services (ITS) will be responsible for the purchase, maintenance and repair, and inventory control of all audio-visual or instructional support equipment in the College. Exceptions apply to academic departments who self-manage loans of program specific audio-visual equipment in support of academic delivery.
- ITS will acquire various types of equipment based on the needs and demands of employees and students. Equipment purchases are identified after consultation between the ITS Services Centre Manager and appropriate College employees.
- Audio-visual equipment is controlled on the ITS inventory and maintained or repaired by ITS technical staff.
- ITS will lend audio-visual equipment and reusable instructional supplies to anyone involved in learning activities associated with College courses. Loan periods will vary and will generally be as short as possible in order to accommodate heavy demands. Equipment and supplies will normally be lent for on-campus use only.
- ITS staff will provide, upon request, instructions on how to operate unfamiliar equipment.
- Borrowers are responsible for the equipment borrowed. Any damage to the equipment, other than normal wear, will be charged to the borrower.
- College audio-visual equipment is not to be used for commercial (i.e. money-making) purposes by the borrower.
- ITS reserves the right to deny loans of certain pieces of equipment,e.g. projectors, Computers on Wheels (COWs) and cameras to employees, and students for personal use during the fall and winter terms due to heavy demand and limited supply of equipment.
- The loan of AV equipment will be according to the following priorities:
Priority 1: classroom use;
Priority 2: assignments or projects completion;
Priority 3: needed by College staff for personal use for purposes other than classroom use.
- The length of the AV equipment loan will be negotiated when the equipment is booked. In order to accommodate demand, loan periods will usually be as short as possible. Term loans of certain types of equipment to a department may be arranged if use warrants the long term requirements.
- ITS reserves the right to limit quantities of equipment booked at any one time to a borrower or group of borrowers.
- Off-campus equipment loans will be made available to borrowers if the learning activity is related to a College course.
- College staff may borrow equipment for off-campus personal use, for a fee, if the equipment is not otherwise in demand. Other borrowers needing equipment for personal reasons must use the equipment on-campus. ITS staff can provide information on alternative sources of rental equipment.
- The person signing for the equipment on loan is responsible for its safe-keeping and return.
- Borrowers of AV equipment will report all malfunctions, damages or losses to the appropriate IT staff at the campus from which the equipment is borrowed.
- If a piece of equipment is discovered missing from the College premises, the borrower must make a written report to the Manager, Security Services (located at the Woodroffe campus), and to the appropriate ITS staff on satellite campuses.
- If a piece of equipment is stolen from a borrower while off College premises, it must be reported to the Police as well as the Manager Security Services and to the appropriate ITS staff on sateliite campuses. A copy of the police report is to be given to the Manager, ITS Service Centre and the Manager, Security Services.
- If the College is to recover funds from a borrower to replace lost or damaged equipment, ITS will provide the information to the Finance Department to permit invoicing and collecting of funds.
Loans – Penalties
- All borrowers who have equipment overdue will not be able to borrow additional AV equipment until the late items are returned.
- Employees who repeatedly return equipment late or damaged will be warned to improve their handling and care of equipment. Failure to do so will result in the employees no longer being able to borrow equipment.
- Employees borrowing AV equipment for personal use (i.e. not related to college-sponsored learning activities) are responsible for the costs of equipment losses or damages. Late return or damage of equipment borrowed for personal use will result in a charge being levied, based on the Schedule of Rates listed in Appendix 1.
- Students who repeatedly return equipment late or damaged will have their student accounts encumbered until the late equipment has been returned in good, working order or once the damaged equipment has been paid for.
Submit a request to loan AV equipment at least twenty-four (24) hours before it is needed by:
Pick up and return equipment to ITS Service Centre during regular hours of operation. After hours, return AV equipment to Security Services.
Report any malfunctions, damages or losses, if any, to the appropriate IT staff at the campus where the equipment was borrowed.
Report in writing any missing equipment on campus to the Manager, Security Services (located at the Woodroffe campus), and to the appropriate ITS staff.
Report stolen equipment while off the College premises to the Police as well as Security Services and to the appropriate ITS staff. Give a copy of the Police Report to the Manager, ITS Service Centre and Manager, Security Services.
Provide the information of the lost equipment to the Finance Department to permit invoicing and collecting of funds, if indicated.
Manager, ITS Service Desk
Loans – Penalties
Warn employees who repeatedly return equipment late or damaged to improve their handling and care of equipment or they will be lose their borrowing privileges .
ITS Service Desk Staff
Encumber the account of students who repeatedly return equipment late or damaged by notifying Finance of the encumbrance amount. The encumbrance is to be removed once the late equipment has been returned in good, working order or once the damaged equipment has been paid for.
Manager, ITS Service Desk
Levy a charge based on the Schedule of Rates (Appendix 1) to employees borrowing AV equipment for personal use who return or damage AV equipment.
Manager, ITS Service Desk
Appendix 1 Schedule of Replacement Rates for AV Equipment
AA 31 Learning Resource Centre
IT 03 : APPENDIX 1
Schedule of Replacement Rates for AV Equipment
The replacement rates for AV equipment can be found below: