- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Academic
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- Changes to Original Registration: Course Drop/Add
To establish a process which allows students to drop or add a course after registration is completed and to encourage students to do so in consultation with their Academic Advisor
Program Chair, Course Chair, Academic Manager or Dean
The process of changing a student’s original registration on the Algonquin College Student Information System (ACSIS) or in-person by dropping or adding a course.
- Students may make changes to their original registration. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of the impact dropping or adding a course can have on their program of study and student status.
- All changes to the original registration, such as dropping a course, adding a course or changing a section must be approved by the appropriate Academic Administrator, whether through prior approval by activating courses for online service, or through in-person service in the department.
- A student whose status changes to full-time or part-time as a result of a change in the original registration may have his/her fees adjusted according to the published fee schedule.
- If a course is officially dropped within the first third of the course duration, all reference to the course is removed from the student’s academic record.
- If a course is officially dropped within the second third of the course duration, a “W” (indicating withdrawal) will be recorded beside the course on the student’s transcript.
- If a course is officially dropped after the two-thirds point of a course duration, a grade of “F” will be assigned to the course on the student’s transcript.
- There is no financial or academic penalty when this is done during the add/drop period advertised on the Registrar’s Office key dates website.
Encourage students to consult with their Academic Advisor if considering dropping or adding a course.
Obtain approval from the Academic Administrator to drop a course, add a course or change a course section online where the course is activated for online service, or through in-person service in the department.
Check if student status changes as a result of changes made to original registration and adjust fees if indicated.
Adjust the student’s transcript accordingly based on the timing of a course being dropped.
AA 14 Grading System
AA 11 Registration
AA 08 Course Load