- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Dean, Academic Development
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Academic
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- Dean's Honours List
To establish a mechanism each term to officially recognize those students who achieve a high academic standing in their program.
All full-time students registered in an Ontario College Credential or bachelor’s degree program
Ontario College Credential Program
A program of study leading to an Ontario College certificate, diploma, advanced diploma or graduate certificate
Bachelor’s Degree Program
Bachelor’s degree conferred by Algonquin College
- The Dean’s Honours List will be established each term to officially recognize the outstanding academic achievement of students enrolled on a full-time basis in an Ontario College Credential or bachelor’s degree program.
- Programs other than the Ontario College credential and bachelor’s degree programs, such as off-audit activity, must be approved by the Vice President, Academic in order to grant students in those programs a Dean’s Honours standing.
- To qualify for the Dean’s Honours List, a student must meet all of the following criteria:
3.1 be registered in an Ontario College Credential or bachelor’s degree program;
3.2 complete the equivalent of a full-time term course load;
3.3 earn a grade point average (GPA) for the term between 3.60 and 4.00 with no grade below C minus (C -); and
3.4 have no outstanding financial obligation to the College.
- Students who have an accommodation approved by the Centre for Students with Disabilities and may not be completing a full-time term load are eligible to appear on the Dean’s Honours List. The students are to contact their Program Chair for the eligibility criteria, pre-approved by the Dean, to qualify to appear on the Dean’s Honours List.
- Should a student have an Incomplete (I) course at the end of the term, he or she will not receive recognition as a member of the Dean’s Honours List until the course is completed and the final term GPA is determined to be within the qualifying range.
- A personal letter of commendation is mailed to the students qualifying for the Dean’s Honours List upon completion of the academic term.
Determine the grade point averages for all students registered in an Ontario College Credential or bachelor’s degree program and carrying a full-time course load or the equivalent each term.
Submit to the Deans for distribution to the Chairs the list of potential candidates for the Dean’s Honours List, including those students carrying a reduced course load who are registered with the Centre for Students with Disabilities and have self-identified to the Registrar’s Office.
Associate Registrar, Client Services
Verify the list of potential candidates for the Dean’s Honours List and confirm its accuracy and/or discrepancies to the Registrar’s Office.
On receiving confirmation of the Dean’s Honours List from the Chair, produce the appropriate personal letters of commendation for the Dean’s signature.
Sign and return the letters of commendation to the Registrar’s Office.
Mail the letters of commendation to the students.
AA 14 Grading System