- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Director, Physical Resources
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Administration
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- Food and Drink in Labs and Shops
To ban food and drinks from labs and shops in keeping with the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario and the College Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) System
All labs and shops
|Food and drink||Any manner of product that is consumed by an individual for the purposes of nutrition or hydration or other purposes. This can include solid, semi-solid and liquid foods as well as any form of drink, either solid, semi-solid or liquid and includes water. This definition applies regardless of the container used.|
|Labs and shops||Include all laboratories and shops, both academic and non-academic, where hazardous materials, hazardous physical agents, and radioactive materials are present or are likely to be present. This definition also includes labs such as computer labs and robotics labs where significant damage could occur in the event of accidental spilling of food and drink onto sensitive equipment.|
|Hazardous material||Refers to any chemical or biological agent controlled under WHMIS legislation, also known as controlled products and the designated substance regulations. Additionally, explosive materials, radioactive materials, pesticides, biohazardous materials, hazardous wastes, unsealed chemical processes or equipment, such as lead acid batteries, shall be included in this definition.|
|Hazardous physical agent||Hazardous physical agents refers to dusts and fumes. Dusts and fumes are typically present in any process that involves heating or mechanical action on wood, metal, plastics and other materials such as sanding, grinding, cutting, planning, welding, heating, brazing.|
|WHMIS||Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System|
- In keeping with the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario and the College Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) System, the College bans food and drink from labs and shops where the risk of contact with or ingestion of a hazardous material, physical agent or radioactive material exists or where the potential for accidential damage to equipment exists.
1.1 Food and drink are prohibited in labs and shops:
- where hazardous materials are present or are likely to be present or used;
- where a hazardous physical agent is present or is likely to be generated or used;
- or where sensitive electronic equipment is present or is used.
1.2 There is no distinction between theory classes and “hands-on” classes or activities for the purposes of this policy in labs and shops. This policy applies if any or all of the above conditions are present.
- Signs indicating that food and drinks are banned will be posted in prominent locations at the entrances and inside the labs and shops.
- Progressive discipline will be used to deal with cases of non-compliance to this policy.
3.1 In the event of non-compliance by a student, Policy SA 07 Student Conduct shall apply.
3.2 In the event of non-compliance by a staff member, progressive disciplinary measures shall be taken.
|1.||Make students aware that food and drink are not allowed in labs and shops at the beginning of each term.||Professor|
|2.||Impose disciplinary actions under Policy SA 07 Student Conduct if student disregards this policy by eating or drinking in the lab or shop.||Professor|
|3.||Impose disciplinary actions if a staff member disregards this policy by eating or drinking in the lab or shop.||Immediate supervisor|
SA 07 Student Conduct