- Policy #:
- Responsible Authority:
- Director, Information, Institutional Research and Technology Services (IIRTS)
- Approval Authority:
- President's Executive Committee
- Executive Sponsor:
- Vice President, Business Development
- Approval Date:
- Last Reviewed:
- Mandatory Revision Date:
- Downloadable Version:
- Voice Communication
To provide a communication system for the College, its employees and the student residences
All College staff and students requiring non-wireless (mobile) voice communication services
Information, Institutional Research and Technology Services
Voice Over Internet Protocol, an infrastructure for managing phones and phone calls.
A system for recording messages from callers
A device that operates on the communication system such as a facsimile machine
Voice Communication Equipment / Device
A VoIP handset
A forecast of call volumes, by day and time, for a period of time. Used to plan capacity within the network and connectivity to the outside telephony and internet networks operated by carriers such as Bell Canada
- The College maintains Voice Communications systems which include physical telephones, security phones, voice mail and facsimile devices for College employees and student residences and the required infrastructure to support the systems.
- The infrastructure required to support the Voice Communications systems is planned by Information Technology Services (ITS) and implemented and managed by ITS and Physical Resources.
- The Director, IIRTS, is responsible for the annual preparation of a Communication Plan are based on call volumes, traffic plans and growth projections (headcount) provided by College departments. The Director, Physical Resources provides the capacity expansion needs for new or renovated buildings.
- The Communication Plan will form the basis for the annual budget submission, including Communication equipment requirements. The Communication Plan is based on:
a. The monitoring of voice communication traffic within the college network and external to the college (local and long distance calls) by ITS, throughout the year. This data will form the basis for capacity and traffic planning for the upcoming year.
b. The identification by departments of their full-time and part-time positions that have desks or workstations where a telephone is required.
c. The budgeting of necessary funds by the departments for new communication equipment. ITS will provide cost estimates for new equipment identified in “b” above.
d. The request for direct dial lines (numbers without extensions) by budget holders. Justification for direct dial lines will be submitted to the President’s Executive Committee for consideration and approval.
e. The evaluation by ITS of any request for special features, either software or hardware, against the availability, cost and general needs.
- Only telephones and telephony equipment specified by the College will be installed on the College communication systems. Unauthorized equipment attached to the communication system will be removed and disciplinary action may result.
- No individual, other than qualified service personnel and ITS support staff, will be allowed to connect, disconnect, repair, add options or in any way alter the configuration of the College communication equipment.
- Installation of voice communication equipment will take place throughout the year based on the approved communication systems and infrastructure plan. Requests for equipment installation, maintenance and relocation can be made through the ITS work order management system through the 5555 phone extension or email@example.com.
- Anyone experiencing trouble with communication equipment or requiring repair to damaged equipment should report their request to the Help Desk at 5555 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No user of the College communication systems should contact outside agencies for service to College owned voice communications equipment.
- Every user department is responsible for the replacement costs of lost, stolen or damaged equipment.
- Long distance calling is managed through a central budget. Publicly accessible phones are blocked from making any long distance calls. All other phones are restricted to calls within North America. International long distance can be enabled by ITS upon request.
- A direct charge based on actual costs will be made for telephone service provided to OPSEU (Academic), OPSEU (Support Staff), Administration Staff Association, Students’ Association Offices and outside organizations.
- College personnel with a physical disability may request special communication equipment to aid them in their daily tasks.
Budgeting & Planning
Provide, at the start of the fourth quarter, the anticipated communication equipment needs for the next budget year
Create a traffic plan based on the previous year’s capacity utilization and forecasted needs for the next budget year.
Prepare a budget submission based on inputs and capacity requirements.
Communicate any changes in expected services and devices to departments based on changes to the approved budget.
Communication Equipment Installation & Moves
Make a request to the immediate supervisor for the installation or relocation of communication equipment through the 5555 call centre or by emailing email@example.com.
Create work orders for relocation and budgeted installations, once request is approved by immediate supervisor. The work order system will notify the interested parties of the job status.
Review requests for communication devices not found in the approved budget. If supplies and capacity exist to meet the request, create a work order and report an exception to the approved budget. If supplies and capacity do not exist within the approved budget to meet the request, make a joint request for contingency funding to the President’s Executive Committee.
Technical Support and Issues
Call the 5555 help line or email firstname.lastname@example.org to log a technical support request.
Create a support ticket in Service Desk Express (SDE) and work with the device user to resolve his/her issue.
ITS / Device User
Request the removal of communication equipment no longer needed (staff departure, change in workload etc.), through the 5555 call centre or by emailing email@example.com to allow the equipment to be used in another capacity.
IT01 Acceptable Use of Networks and Accounts
Asset Management Policy – Finance and Administrative Services